Yesterday we talked about love and the importance of loving yourself. Today, we’re back for a little more of the mushy love stuff with ten glorious ways to love yourself. Ready?
1.Take a look in the mirror. Whether you dress up or put on make-up or just roll out of bed, take a good look at the person staring back at you. Find one thing you like about yourself.
2.Talk to yourself. I once read a book about a man whose mother made him stand in front of the mirror and say awful things about himself. It was a horrid kind of torture. I’m not asking you to do that, instead, I suggest you talk positively about yourself in the mirror. Tell yourself the things you’re good at, what you’ve accomplished over the years or even the last few days. You’d be surprised how much of a pick-me-up this exercise can be.
3. Date yourself. If you’re not in a relationship this Valentine’s (or even if you are) make some time to date yourself. Go to a movie or out to your favorite restaurant. Pick up a good book or treat yourself to a snack.
4. Pamper yourself. There is nothing like a good spa treatment, a pedicure, or a massage to show yourself how much you love you. Your body works hard all day to get you where you need to go and do the things you have to do. Show yourself some love and relax a little with a pampering activity.
5. Buy yourself something pretty. Then, go back to the mirror and tell yourself you look fabulous!
6. Do something nice for someone you love. Remember, it’s not about getting all self-centered here, it’s about loving yourself. And perhaps you love to love others. Visit an elder, do something kind for a neighbor, or send someone a card. Love breeds love.
7. Get your hair done. I find this to be a bit different from pampering yourself, simply because I find great meaning in getting my hair done. Regardless, it can be a pleasant way to spend an afternoon and you might be surprised to find some extra courage underneath that new do.
8.Plan a vacation. And then go on it! It doesn’t have to be something solitary or something you do to find a mate (assuming you don’t have one). It can be a family vacation or a group thing or a couples retreat. It doesn’t matter, what matters is that you plan for it and go. After all, wouldn’t you love to go to one of your favorite places this year?
9. Spend a year being thankful. If you’re not careful, you can easily talk yourself out of all the great things about you and your life. So, try giving thanks. You might be surprised to find a lot of great things about your life and you in the process.
10. Take the 10 Day You Challenge. I’ll admit, I haven’t yet done this, but I plan to. Spend the next ten days celebrating you. In fact, this will give me the motivation to participate too. For the next ten days I’ll post daily for this challenge and you can take part in the comments or share the links to your blog posts. Let’s get to know each other better, shall we?
There are going to be days when you don’t always feel loving toward yourself. It’s life and you’re human, I get that. But let’s do our part to make those days fewer and farther between, okay? Oh, and while you’re learning to love yourself, how about you share the love too? Encourage others you know to love themselves a little bit…love…it’s what makes the world go round.