I started a gratitude journal in the form of this handy, dandy thanksgiving calendar. I’m enjoying it a lot because I’ve found that when I’m irritable or starting to get frustrated about something that is going wrong, I end up reminding myself to find something to be thankful for. Since this is making such a difference in my life and my outlook on life in general, I thought I’d share ten things I was thankful for in the month of January.
1. Crock pot meals: these are a true lifesaver when it comes to both adults and most of the teens in the house working and/or going to school. It’s sometimes much less work & the end result is less stress and work on everyone.
2. Alone time: stolen moments of alone time are divine. And I got to have some recently when I got off work early.
3. Martin Luther King Jr. / dreams: I’m extremely thankful for a man who gave his life to fight for freedom and the concept of life dreams.
4. Date nights: when you’re married to my husband (like I am LOL), date nights are awesome. We have the best time together.
5. Flight benefits: put travel into the realm of possibility.
6. Book club: it’s fun to go out with a friend, read books together, and hear what others think of said books.
7.Lunch breaks: for years I didn’t take a lunch break. I worked through the noon hour instead. In my new job, I’m learning how to take a lunch break and put that sixty minutes to good use for writing.
8. Not getting into a car crash: we had a few days of freezing rain last month and I came rather close to being a passenger in a car accident. Not fun. I actually braced for the impact and am thankful it didn’t come.
9. Quiznos: I hadn’t realized how thankful I could be for Quiznos until I went to town to grab some sandwiches for the family and there was no Quiznos there. Lame. You’d think there would have been an announcement of some sort about that.
10. A no-show appointment: because sometimes another therapist’s no show appointment means your life gets a little bit easier.
Focusing on being thankful for the little things in life can make a big difference in a person’s attitude, outlook, and life in general. Give it a whirl and see what you think. What are you thankful for today?